

So Ethan turned 4 in August and I thought once he did things would turn around attitude wise. They say terrible twos but Ethan was pretty good at two despite using a sharpie all over the walls during nap time. Or Taking off his diaper and smearing other things all over the wall. (I finally had to put his sleepers on backwards so he couldn't unzip and get his diaper off.) Overall I still think he was pretty Great! At the end of 2 I could tell his attitude was starting to change a bit and he started getting a little more opinionated on what he wanted. Nothing to drastic though. Once the boy turned 3 he was still as sweet as could be but he was definably pushing the limits. I was convinced that once he hit 4 he would be so much better, boy was I wrong. Lately has been a total challenge with him. Throwing fits over tiny things, talking back to Erik and I when we have asked him to do something so simple, or if we tell him he can't get a toy at the store. I understand that it isn't going to be easy but right now it's really hard! You put him on timeout and he scratches and hits his face. Ethan is so active and loves to run and jump and do total boy things but with the weather lately its really hard to let him go outside to play. The last 3 days the frost has not melted and he is fighting a runny nose/cough so I really don't want to send him out. His teacher says that he is one of the best students she has this year which is really nice to hear with how he has been acting at home. I am wondering if he just needs to get out and play more instead of just play at home? Maybe I will have to make more trips to McDonald so he can play on the toys. I am a little worried that he might end up with bi-polar because I truly believe that is what his biological dad had. I hear that it is hereditary and I really don't want that passed to Ethan. Hopefully it will pass soon and things will get better!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Pushing Limits
Posted by Carlson Family at 1:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey, I know Ethan is a tough kid. I know you have your hands full with him. But you also have a sweet little boy. I guess all you can do is pray that he doesn't inherit bi-polar...and continues to watch yours and Eriks example in life. I know you guys are strong. I love you!!
It worked! I wonder what I was doing wrong before? oh well.
Jared (our oldest) is a wonderful boy, but has definitely been our most challenging to raise. A couple of years ago we put him on the Feingold diet. (No artificial flavors or colors) We can really tell a difference in his behavior when he has had these things- especially the artificial colors. It was an adjustment at first... and a little overwhelming, but I pretty much have it down now. If you are interested I can tell you a few of the foods I have substituted out for Jared. Hang in there. Boys have an incredible amount of energy. I find that being consistent in my discipline and following a schedule of some sorts really helps.
I am hoping the same thing. Bi polar runs in jeffs family. We have been told that, that is what jeff has. Kids are hard but we have to be strong. Ryan tests me every day. Ryan has just started the wienning stage right now. and I hear from his teacher that he is a wonderful boy in class. I some times wonder if she has the right kid. lol
Post a Comment